Sunday, October 08, 2006

Thanksgiving 2006/Uncle Bert's 90th Birthday



For Thanksgiving dinner this year, we decided to convene up north in Wyevale for their annual town church dinner. In doing so we were able to all be together to celebrate not only the holiday, but Uncle Bert's 90th Birthday!




Mom and Dad Conacher were already up in Collingwood for a conference, so Ryan, Meredith and I had to make our own way up. After a short delay picking up the rental car, we were on the road with Holly in tow.

Of course being the most compact and without a drivers licence (getting my G2 on the 26th! Yes!!), I was banished to the backseat.

It was strange being on the beach again. I felt very detatched, probably because I wasn't quite ready to be up there again. The wound hasn't healed. For those of you who don't know, our family decided to sell our cottage last year after 50 wonderful years. It was a difficult decision to make, having seeing summer after endless summer go by, reuniting the family and watching it grow. But in the end, because of circumstances and geography, it was for the best.

We'll always have the memories. And what beautiful memories they are.


Ryan, cocktail in hand, frolicking with Holly on the beach. It was such a beautiful day. The warmest Thanksgiving weekend I can remember. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Heather Anders said...

Just had to say, BRILLIANT mega-post. Good to see the entire Conacher family, say hello - dammit - say g'day from me.

I am so so so so fat right now.

I like the blog wallpaper. Slightly grandparent-y, slightly funky retero.

Beth said...

yes, I like the wallpaper as well! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You're fat, but it's the baby's fault. You can get back at him/her when he/she's a teenager by embarrassing him/her in front of his/her friends.

My family sends lots of love and well-wishes to you and Dave.