Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ten Years.

It's official. I am old.

My ten-year high school reunion has been creeping up on me for, well, ten years. Every May that's passed, I thought, "sheesh! My ten-year reunion is in (insert number) years! God, I'm getting old."

Ahem.

This weekend is sure to bring drunken debauchery at its finest: High School Styles. There are the expected culprits who I am sure will provide endless amounts of crazy antics that will turn into Trinity Reunion Weekend lore. There are those who I am looking forward to seeing...and those whom I am not (she shall remain nameless).

Now that this weekend is finally upon me, I can't help but look back on the last ten years and take stock on all that I have accomplished. In fact, I believe the whole point of celebrating any reunion is to do this, no?

I don't have a house. I'm not married, and haven't been blessed with children. I have never had a job where I made what would be considered an enviable salary. I don't have any savings, or stocks. I don't have a fancy car, nor do I even have my drivers license.

These are the things I can imagine people will be casually talking about over lunch, about what they've GAINED...besides the weight, of course ; )

I won't lie. I won't stretch the truth. I am fully prepared to breakdown the last decade of my life openly and honestly. And it will go something like this:

  • I have traveled across the world and back.
  • I have been brave enough to live abroad.
  • I have made incredible art, in all forms.
  • I have made great friends.
  • I have lost great friends, both tragically and by choice.
  • I have worked hard.
  • I have loved hard.
  • I have lost hard.
  • I have laughed hard.
  • I have lived hard, and have the scars to prove it. Visible and invisible.
  • I have stayed true to myself, and have no regrets.
And now, I have amazing memories and stories to look back on and pass on to family and friends in the future. I also have a love in my life like no other, who I hope to have in my stories and memories ten years from now.

And last, and certainly not least, I have known Heather Anders for 10.5 years. One of the greatest friends and loves of my life, who I will cherish until the end of my days.

Yep. I'm pretty proud of my accomplishments.

And I cannot WAIT to brag.

5 comments:

nat said...

You are truly an amazing person... one of a kind. I would be honoured to still be in your stories ten years from now.

Anonymous said...

oh dude. thank you. ditto.

xxH

ps. im so effing jealous. dear god I should have gotten my shit together and come. damn cute little boys.

Geordy and Pete said...

brag away.
you are gorgeous.
x

Verity Slee said...

GO BUFFY!!!!!!!!!!! Totally with ya sister. Also it works brilliantly if you just slam down as many glasses of white wine as possible in the first hour (I tried for the first 8 hours and it worked pretty well). Then- I actually couldn't tell people what I have and haven't been doing and I will forever remain the mysterious one... or the drunk most realistically... te he he

p.j.r said...

Ya ya ya!!!
OK, so I didn't realize you had started posting again. So i'm only catching up now.
Man do I need to get on the ball as well...

Always never remember Buff. Always.