Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Starting From The Top.

Now that I've chosen The Dress (said with little jumps, clapping my hands and squealing with glee), it's time to ACCESSORIIIIIZE (said dramatically with big eyes and jazz-hands)!

Or at least time to start THINKING about it.

Most of the Accessories won't be decided upon until The Dress has been delivered and I've tried it on again a few of times to get a feel for how I want the "whole package" to look, although I already have an idea :)

There are lots of areas to cover (literally): Shoes, lingerie, jewelery, handbag, shawl/scarf, garter...wait, does that count as lingerie?

In anticipation, I figured it would be a good idea to start from the top and work my way down so I am not overwhelmed with only a couple of months left to decide. THAT would make me every bridesmaid's/wedding planner's worst nightmare. Trust me.

NATHANIEL TYLER BARNES, TURN AWAY NOW OR ELSE!
Everyone else, please scroll down.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Ehem.

Now. Figuring out the appropriate hair and hair accessories all depends on one's The Dress. Since I have no intention of posting a picture of my actual The Dress due to potential snooping fiancee's, I will have to paint a basic image for you:

Strapless. Sweetheart neckline. Cinched waist. Slight poof. Limited/No beading. Pockets.

You get the idea.

This decision is making me a bit nervous. It is, I feel, the Icing on the Cake. And if done incorrectly I could wind up looking like a Poom-Poom Patty, or some chavvie teenager who doesn't know class from her ass.

Below are my Top 5 hairstyles. I thought I would start from there then move onto hair piece/veils.

Any feedback you have is much appreciated.



This one I feel is very "me". The tousled, slightly messy hair down.
It would allow me to have either a veil or a pretty clip, like the one the model is wearing.
Although this one could be a bit dramatic, part of me would like something a bit more....classic.
Maybe this could this be done with a sleek, elegant head piece? Hmm....




I like this twisted ponytail look. Not sure about the poof on the top of the head, though.
I think my dress has enough poof as it is.




Very pretty. Very elegant, old Hollywood, Veronica Lake.
Again, could wear a veil or a chic, faux-flower on the one side.
Since I have a LOT of hair I'd have to trim it down a bit. But I think this could be very lovely.




This one is currently my favourite. It would show off my neck and shoulders, and give me a mature elegance that - let's face it - I just don't have in my everyday life.
This would be a bit tricky to work with a veil, so if I went this direction I'd have to figure out something just as classic and polished to add to it.




This one appears to be sort of in between the first one and the third one.
A bit less messy than the first, but a bit more tousled and relaxed than the third.
I feel like if I went with this one, I wouldn't be worried about anything coming loose throughout the night. And even like I could do it myself.
Which then makes me think that it's not that special if I'm able to recreate it on my own.



Now for veils/headpieces. There are a few different directions I could go, and again have chose my Top 5 looks:


Aside from the crystal detailing, I love this one a lot.
I like the length, and how it has some body to it, how it gathers at the top then cascades down.
It also looks like it could work with any hairstyle, whether I wear it down or tied back.




When trying on dresses, this is the length of veil the salesladies would put on me so I could see "the whole picture". And it worked. It is very classic, and would be lovely and flowy in the wind....could make for some really cute pictures :)




Now with this one, I wouldn't have the blusher in my face. I would push it back, creating sort of a halo-like effect. What I like about it is it's like a hair piece and a veil, all in one.
With the pretty flower at the back keeping it in place, I think it's a very pretty look.




Can anyone say DRAMA! I feel like this one screams it! And in the absolute BEST possible way :)
It's a veil on steroids, but has the illusion of being a big flower...I think it's VERY fun, but don't know if I would be brave enough to pull it off!




I think that I love this one the most so far. Similar to the first one, it's shorter and tapered at the back. So you get the veil effect from the top, but it doesn't overwhelm the delicateness of the exposed shoulders and neck.
It looks like something I would imagine Audrey Hepburn to wear. And what woman doesn't want to look like Audrey Hepburn?!


All of the hair pictures were taken from The Knot website (see my Serenity Now sidebar).

The gorgeous veils and headpieces are created by a Denver-based bridal milliner named Sara Gabriel. Jennifer, my amazing wedding coordinator, directed me to her site and I absolutely fell in love with everything about it. The jewelery she designs has a vintage delicateness to it; a simple elegance I think every bride would love to have on her wedding day.

That's the look I'm going for, anyway! An Audrey Hepburn, Old Hollywood, vintage glamour...

Now let's just see if I can pull it off!

6 comments:

Heather Anders said...

disclaimer: all opinions should be taken with extreme caution. i dont pretend to be an expert on anything other tahn my own style which is dubious at best.

right. hair:
i like number 1 and 4 best. Either down and ruffled, OR up and sleek. I like hte youth of the first one (and isnt that how we want to remembe rour wedding day - as youthful and free?) and kind of how i imagine you. but im a personal sucker for hte classic, no-nonsence beauty of number 4 where your face is the star of the show. Number 4 would prob suit most of the veils best also?

headpieces:
i LOVE number 3, think it would totally suit hair number 4. I also like hte simplicity of number 2. But i love 3 the most as have always loved the whole fascinator (sp?) thing which that veil leans towards

Heather Anders said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Geordy and Pete said...

wow- I lve the enthusiasm for the new blog!

Go for it Buffy.

loving all the excitment

x

The Captain's Sister said...

BETH! I am so overwhelmed on your behalf with all this stuff! But you seem to have approached it all with such tact and level-headedness (I'm SURE Nat would confirm this!!).

I am with Heather -- I choose hair option #1 before all others. I think the hair-down option would mirror the POCKETS (LOVE IT!) in the dress really well; cheeky, if nothing else. And a beautiful antique broochy-bit in your hair would be lurvely.

Option #4 is my second fave too. In terms of veils, I got nuthin'. Can't even begin to weigh on on them -- sorry, I was never one of those little girls dressed up in pseudo wedding garb, although now I'm kinda wondering if I skipped a bit of my childhood??

Keep those blogs comin'! :)

Kat said...

I agree with the ladies! :)
Number 1 is my number 1. Mostly because you said it's so 'you'. Whatever you do, do not sacrifice comfort on that of all days. The last thing you want is to feel like you're walking on eggshells because you have a precarious hairdo or headpiece. At your wedding of all times, comfort, carefree elegance, that 'I've been dancing for 5 hours and haven't had to do a hair touch-up' type do is what you should be looking for, and is also what translates into that natural blissful beauty that every bride seems to exude. :)
I could also see you rocking a fascinator. (A feather hair accessory. Google it you'll get some great images.)
I love the idea of Old Hollywood, vintage glamour.
Keep it coming! xo

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.frsaclvsb.com]Louis Vuitton Pas Cher[/url] Couper le fenouil en tranches et r louis vuitton accessories regarding Parer les bordures. the duire l nufactured durante united nationsuire avefill l et du sel sondant ave outeau garr roquant du l Ajouter e feuil laurier parfumer. Contr l. a,chicago cuisson du fduranteouil sondant, S s'av'e rrtre croquant, Stopper los angeles cuisson. Mettre the fenouil dans signifiant l glac quelminutes put froid s Puis sortir fenouil l Confire fenouil. Faire chauffer de l d dans une po et y simply d le fenouil. Assaisonner en ajoutant du sel, Du poivre et une noix pour beurre. the faire colorer nufactured chaque c puis asking prices d louis vuitton and >


[url=http://www.saclvfrs.com]sac louis vuitton[/url] Mort, Hugo Ch le pr v est devenu n't demi-dieu. are generally tirasignifiant du ministre fran louis vuitton pocket l Victorin Lurel, Repr are generally england louis vuitton loath aux obs "hh environnant les besides Gaulle L Blum, Donne are generally mesure des louanges qui pleuvent sur pr gouvernance du v disparu. R une r du bolivar, Monnaie v qui bloque toute exportation, les prodebuits fabriqu compensatesans le and besides n compensation arty Il louis vuitton s'av'e rrtre just for men jean pocketevenu int louis vuitton ces prouits. the V importe 80% pour ses besoins. Il ne peut donc pas gym avoir pour cr d seule politique competent pagerank plastic bottles l et un permettre very least le concor sociale.


[url=http://www.saclvfrs.com]sac louis vuitton[/url] L'entrevue a convey sur los angeles vie cr Audio environnant les l'entrevue, Déjà à l'uvre sur les battles du Baiser mortel du monster(Corey Yuen nous offre à voir l'ordre de nouvelles chorégraphies particulièrement inventives ) l. a,chicago scène dans graisse-Qui lui ont permis d'asseoir sa réputation sur ses terres natales aux c^otés des Yuen Woo, titled ping, Jackie Chan et autres luis vuitton Sammo strung! (Avec des uvres majeures telles que sure enough Madam) Le end concluding avec michelle Yeoh et Cynthia Rothrock restera à tout jamais une prodigieuse claque visuelle, Ou encore, and moreover récemment. Dans the méconnu mais tout aussi époustouflant extremely great avec durante vedette une certaine Shu chi, Bien loin du vulgaire sac à patates cual l'on charrie dans le coffre delaware sa voiture(L'actrice taiwanaise nous permet d'admirer ses formes les properly généreuses ) Shu qi est d'ailleurs très connue fill ses photos de charme durante Asie, Et témoigne du style delaware Besson flood attirer le consumer, Majoritairement masculin, `A venir découvrir ce transporteur, Interprété an elemen the très figure louis vuitton neverfull jerrika Statham.Acteur louisvuitton