Monday, July 12, 2010

To Wedding Planner, Or Not To Wedding Planner.

THAT is the question.

Let me explain.

The last 3 months have been spent enjoying our time together, gushing over the engagement story and no doubt driving friends and family a bit crazy with how excited we are and how we can't wait to get married. Barf.

Cute at first, but quickly the questions started: When? Where? How? Bridesmaids? Colours?

...can't we just enjoy this for a bit longer, people? Answer to that: No. Time to get down to business.

First order on the plate was, when would we have the wedding? Would I be a summer bride? Perhaps winter white would suit us best. Fall is so lovely, what with the changing leaves and the chill in the air. Spring has the best flowers, though.

Nat isn't a fan of being overheated in a suit, and I can't even stand the thought of the possibility of snow being on the ground on the happiest day of my life. So immediately Summer and Winter were out. That leaves us with Spring and Fall, 2 very do-able options. Nat grew up in the woods in Northern, Ontario and has an affinity for Fall, and I've always enjoyed the very first couple of weeks where it's still warm enough to go without a jacket, but you can't leave the house without a sweater and a scarf.

We started throwing Octobers out...October 2011 would give us a year and a half of engagement time. We still had a few months before we'd have to start looking for venues and caterers...but it just felt too damn far away. Why wait all that time when we were so excited to get married?? On the flip side, October 2010 was just too soon. There was no way we would be able to get anything organized in time.

So Spring, 2011 was decided upon, with April 23 being the day that just sounded and felt right. That happened a month ago. 10 months and change to plan a wedding. TOTALLY possible for us to plan!

Now. Here's the thing about weddings: it isn't just about ordering some flowers and prime rib. There are LOTS of teeny, tiny details that have to be thought about and paid attention to in order to make the day a success. I can't even begin to give you an example, because I've noticed that when I start thinking about it my eyes squint and I subconsciously shake my head, my mind starts racing and before I know it I haven't slept and missed eating lunch again.

But I have 9 months and change! Surely I should be able to get a grasp on everything! Get yourself together, Conacher! You can DO this....

But wait. Aren't there people out there who plan weddings for a living? Wedding PLANNERS?? No, no....that's not for me, I told myself. I can do this! I am quite capable doing all of the planning myself, thank you very much. I appreciate that others can't because of time constraints, or they're planning a BIG wedding and need help with putting it together on a grand scale. Us? We're just having a small, family and friend event with a few cute little touches here and there. Of COURSE I can make it all happen in 9 months in change! No problem!

Right?

Wrong.

Because of the above mentioned physical problems that occur when just thinking about planning the wedding, I have checked my ego at the door and decided to hire a Wedding Planner.

Nat says it will save my sanity. My mother says it will save Nat's sanity. And his life. If I feel this overwhelmed at this stage in the game, imagine how I'd be the few weeks, days or minutes leading up?

Heads. Would. Roll.

I did a bit of research online, and came across a lovely woman named Jennifer who owns a company called Sparkle & Shine Events. We met last week and the references she gave me had nothing but glowing things to say about her, and how she made their day more perfect than every imaginable.

Here are only SOME of the services she is going to provide me with:
  • Detailed budget planning and management
  • Advice and support on post-wedding tasks (ie: name changes, thank you cards, etc.)
  • Customized monthly task calendar
  • Ceremony & Reception site visits
  • Ensure coordination of all design elements (ie: flowers, favours, stationery, etc.)
  • Creative solutions in every area, from décor to logistics
  • Vendor recommendations to suit your individual needs
  • Management of all vendor-related activities
  • Detailed wedding day itinerary, for you and your vendors
  • Guided wedding rehearsal
  • Hosting of your guests to ensure their enjoyment of your wedding day
  • On-site management & coordination of entire event
  • Coordinate gift collection to a secured location
  • Full use of our wedding-emergency kit
  • Decoration set up at Ceremony and Reception*
  • Romantic honeymoon planning*
......you see? You see what SHE is now going to do for us? You SEE all of those things?? Those are only SOME of the things I would have had to handle ALL BY MYSELF! What the eff was I thinking in the first place?! Why doesn't EVERYONE hire a Wedding Planner?! Genius!! Simply genius.

I felt like a failure for 3 seconds before moving forward and recognizing that this is definitely the smartest move.

Now the next 9 months and change doesn't seem too overwhelming. Jennifer is there to hold my hand and get me down that aisle (relatively) stress-free.

Because let's be honest, this is ME we're talking about here.

5 comments:

K said...

Buffy this is super adorable. I am cheering for you!!!!

Beth said...

KELLY!! What an awesome surprise! Thank you, love!! We'll see how far this goes...I may get swallowed up in the process! GULPGULP! xoxoxoxoxo

Mezzle said...

Hey Buff, love the new idea for your blog, looking forward to hearing the progress as the big day looms. Just remember, no matter how great the day is, the marriage is forever, and therefore far more important the any niggly wedding day details!

Wedding planner - great idea, especially if that means avoiding a Buffy-style Bridezilla!

Love Mez

Alex and Alex Aranchikov said...

Go Buff, go Buff!! Freaking awesome........ weddings rock: i love all the details and special bits and pieces that make your day a total expression of the two of you - and will be a brilliant memory for life!

Can't wait to follow the details closely in blogworld!

X

Heather Anders said...

when did you move to blogcentral?

awesome move dude. awesome move.

cant wait to hear it all. can we put up pics of dresses that failed?

xxh

ps. such a good move with wedding planner. totally the way to make your life simpler and with all the stuff she prob knows, prob hte most cost efficient way also!